Thursday, December 2, 2010

Commonewealth Effect

Luisiana Rosales
English
Frankie Lennon
Commonwealth Effect

    “The End,” “Dead End,” “Fín,” usually when you read or hear anything that finishes off it means there’s nothing else to see or do. However, I grew up on a dead end street and to me; it was never a dead end, but just another adventure waiting to begin. During the 1990s, as a child I wasn’t aware of any racism growing up. Instead the only thing I was focused on and deeply affected by was school and whether or not I was passing the first grade. Another thing I vividly remember about the 90’s was the amount of fun I had playing pretend with my next door neighbors. I met these neighbors a few weeks after I moved into the duplex on 446 N. Commonwealth Avenue, Los Angeles, California and had just started the first grade. Before the duplex I had just lived in another duplex in LA, but this Commonwealth duplex felt much different than all the others.
           For example, the Commonwealth duplex was no ordinary duplex. For one, it was built somewhat like a fun house. I say that because there were four families living in total in this duplex. If anything, it was much smaller than the structure of an apartment building, but the living space was much bigger than an apartment would be. There was a downhill driveway that led to a hidden parking lot behind the duplex. The neighborhood around the duplex was very much diverse. To the left of the building stood a rehab center for mature adults, to the right of us lay anther duplex that didn’t seem to have too much commotion happening in it. Across the street lay a dark abyss of hollow looking trees that you would believe to be haunted by the dark, by the ominous color it emitted, under all those trees lied a very much hidden house. As children, my brother Luis, my two neighbors, Judy and Abby would each make up stories about that house, we each dared each other to cross the street and touch the gate of this mystery house; however none of us had the guts or permission to cross the street and knock this dark colored gate. Further down the road stood a large faded pink bricked wall that said “dead end, not a through street.” Whatever lay beyond that wall always filled us with wonder and curiosity.
           Some of the people that I grew up with included my older brother Luis who always seemed to have an answer for every question anyone asked him. My neighbors Abby, who was the same age as me yet, had a terrible temper and a knack for lying, and Judy who was a year younger than my brother and seemed to have the caring and compassion of a mother. If someone were to look at us they’d never believe we’d all be able to get along or be able to stand one another. Nevertheless we were the best of friends, and every day I would be anxious for school to end, not for the obvious reasons, but for the pure joy I got from playing “pretend” with my neighbors and brother. Each day we came up with a different adventure such as pretending to be kings and queens of different countries who were also gifted with a vast amount of power. The next day we would probably decide to race our bikes down the hill that laid adjacent to our duplex and see who could brake the fastest. Fortunately we were all well taught so no one got hurt. Either way, everyday seemed like a new adventure just waiting to happen.
          When I contemplated all of those past events I noticed ethnicity and beliefs never really played a part in my friends. For one, my friends back on Commonwealth, Judy and Abby were raised Jewish whereas my brother and I were raised Catholic, however we never disputed or ridiculed one another based on our beliefs. Quite the contrary, instead we taught each other different traditions and practiced different things. As a seven year old I didn’t fully appreciate that experience but when I think back to it, I was lucky, lucky to have shared my beliefs with someone and learn about theirs in the process. Sadly this type of acceptance is no longer present around me because everyone is either afraid to state what they believe in or it’s a subject filled with argument. In result I grew up with a deep and profound understanding, because I was never afflicted by racism or any type of discrimination. As a result, as an older individual one of my many characteristics is acceptance. I accept everyone around me and I thrive to know more about them because we are all different and we each carry a new and unique way of thinking that has yet to be discovered because of all the existing prejudices.
           As I continue to grow I gladly take with me every day the adventures and lessons I learned on Commonwealth and instill it into whatever I partake in, because Commonwealth will not only be my past dwelling but will forever more be a part of me as I continue to explore new revenues. I’ll always remember the time I spent on Commonwealth not as a “dead end,” but as a new exciting adventure waiting to be fully reveled in.  

No comments: